Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress Book 1)

Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress) (Volume 1) - Linsey Hall

Cass, Del, and Nix are FireSouls. FireSouls have the ability to steal magical gifts by killing the individuals that have desirable powers. For that reason, known FireSouls are locked up in a magical prison regardless of whether or not they've killed, plan to, or have no desire to.
I loved how this opened up. 3 girls in a field with no memory of how they got there. No memory of parents, names; absolutely no memory of the past. The only thoughts that come are "run," "hide," and "FireSoul." The beginning grabbed me.
The reasons why I didn't rate this higher was I wanted more interaction between Cass, Del, and Nix. There was also no resolutions; they still don't know their history, who is hunting them, etc. There wasn't answers, only more questions. I also felt the ending was abrupt and could consider it to be a cliffhanger. I might keep a look out for book 2, but only if I thought it would give me some answers (I'd be happy with 1 answer- I do know this is a series, but I think it's important to answer something before adding more questions, problems to the mix).

eARC courtsey of NetGalley/Patchwork Press/Bonnie Doon Press